Mary's lies in a quiet and historic corner of south west London, in the heart of the
Merton Park Conservation Area, south of Wimbledon
A church has stood on
this site since before the Domesday Book. It was founded by the
Augustinian Canons who also founded Merton Priory. Parts of the present
building date back to 1115. The roof of the nave is nearly 900 years old
and that of the chancel dates from 1400. The two aisles were built in
the last century to accommodate the population explosion
generation has left its mark:
- the gateway to the ancient Merton
- the fine Elizabethan memorial of
- the tomb of Rear Admiral Issac Smith,
the first Englishman to land in Australia.
- a monument by the widow of Captain
- Lord Nelson's seat - he worshipped
regularly at this church towards the end of his life.
- the hatchments of Lord Nelson and Sir
- stained glass from the 1400's and
Burne-Jones designed windows from the local factory of William Morris.
- Edward Rayne (of Raynes Park) is buried
in the South Aisle.
- other famous names associated with this
church include John Innes and William Rutlish.
There is a great deal more of interest
in our ancient parish church and in its surrounding graveyard and Glebe.
Nave looking east towards the Norman
Photo: R. Ingle
Burne-Jones glass in the South Aisle, made in the nearby William Morris
factory. Photo: R. Ingle
Lord Nelson's funeral hatchment in
the North Aisle